30/10/09

I am currently writing this extract in one of the most obscure and unique settings. It is 10 o’clock at night at the moment. Now, bearing in mind that we normally go to sleep at 7.30 and wake up at 4, this is pretty much the middle of the night. Around me I can hear the soft pats of water dropping from the leaves of the trees, and the sound of the crickets chirping, whilst above me lays only sky. Sky and a solitary moon that is so bright that you can barely see any stars around it. I am sitting outside on the bench at the end of a very good day.

For me it’s been a day of cooking actually.
This morning I was assigned to the gardens and after breakfast found myself down the valley clearing the trail down to the waterfall. So it was a very pleasant morning. Nata and Deven did, however, play an evil trick on me. In the three hours spent clearing the trail I managed to clear an area of… 5 meters!!! Just in case you don’t know, that is ridiculously small amount. The reason was, that I had a couple of rocks in the place I was wanting to clear. Ok a couple, is a giant understatement, and having to dig through rocks with a shovel is a slow and laborious process. Firstly though, I need to explain something to you about working with rocks. There are different stages, or frames of mind that you go through when trying to clear rocks. You have the first stage, the ‘sure I’ll do it’ stage. This is where you are assigned an area and you don’t really mind which bit it is. This can shortly be followed by the ‘I can do it’ stage. This is where you become more motivated to do the task and start setting yourself goals. It then starts to get a little tricky and you get a little tired of trying to move some particularly difficult ones. This triggers the ‘Wouldn’t turn down some help’ stage. Personally, I tend to stay in this stage for most of my time. I’m not too bothered about asking for help and don’t feel my ‘image’ (which isn’t great by the way) being dented much when I do so. This is the stage where you start to think in your mind, ‘it would be nice if somebody would offer me a little bit of help’ and if they do you would naturally accept it. And then you have the final stage. I don’t tend to get to this 4th stage very often, remaining in the 3rd for most of the time. This stage is known as the ‘I WILL SUCCEED IF IT’S THE LAST THING I DO’ stage. This is where you have gone too far to just leave it and, to accept help from anybody would be like allowing somebody to take the reward for your hard work.

So as you can imagine, working on a 5m stretch for 3 hrs, had pushed me to such a degree that I had gone all the way to even into the last stage. I had worked too hard to stop then, but there was just one big rock left sticking out of the trail and I was determined to see it deflated. So I called to the others to tell them I wanted to go up and get the pick axe, to which Nata replied, “but we are leaving in 15 minutes”. As I had said, “I will succeed if it’s the last thing I do” so after shouting, ‘I don’t really care’ back at them, I hurried back up the trail to find a pick from under the restaurant. I remember thinking, ‘should I tell them to leave the rock?’ but then I thought ‘no, they would never do that’. If they wanted to mess me around and go up just as I came down I would simply take the walkie-talkie and finish the job alone. Anyway they wouldn’t be that mean would they, surely they must understand that I was in the 4th stage. So when I was coming to the last bend before the rock and heard the sound of shovels on rock, my heart sunk. I rounded the corner to see a small piece of rock left standing where the rock had once been with two young men standing by it laughing. B@$%5£!. Well I have to admit I cursed more than I have done in the last 2 months all together and it took me a while to see the funny side. To be honest, the fact that I had thought they might do that suggested that I may have come up with the same idea if one of those guys had gone to get the pick. Either way, that section and much more was completed and to a high standard, so all in all, a good days work.

It was after this that I found out from Susie that we were going to have another buffet dinner in the evening as there were so few people up in the community today. On this occasion it was Susie who suggested contributing something so I told here the epic stories of the last occasion.

It turns out Susie used to be a baker and she and her ex-husband used to run a little bakery. Now working in a little bakery, like the ones they had at the Belgium coast, has always been something I’ve wanted to do. So baking a big loaf of bread seemed fitting (the fact that bread was one of the foods I miss eating the most here, obviously had nothing to do with it). So I now have a new recipe that I have called the ‘1,2,3 Bread’, which is based on the standard way of making loaves in bakeries.

Anyway we made the loaf and I have written down the recipe so I can show it to you guys when I get back.

So, after that Ema asked me if I wanted to help making the fudge. Before he had even got the last 2 letters out, I had already agreed. Devon and Ema got everything ready and they seemed to know exactly what to do, so to say I helped, actually meant I handed them the peanuts and raisons, as well as ‘helped’ lick out the bowl. Hey I’m not complaining.

And then later on that day I was in the kitchen helping Christina making these roasted chopped potatoes with spices on. The help required with this was less of licking the bowl and more of pealing, mixing and adding more ingredients, so much more like actual helping.