20/11/09

Day 5:

The final day.

I was so excited to be so close to the end and talk of items we were going to purchase and mattresses we were going to sleep on when we got back, could be heard amongst the group.

The weather had even cleared up slightly for the occasion. In fact, that day was, for me, the most beautiful day of the expedition. We had some absolutely breathtaking views of mountains, valleys, cloud formations,
rainbows and some good looking guys with wide grins on their faces in the foreground.

The whole day involved down hill walking so it was hard on our knees. The 5th day is also nicknamed ‘blister day’ for good reason. I was convinced that I had obtained at least 3 big ones but it seems that my feet have developed some kind of resistance to them. But it was still a little painful. As I said though, for me it was the most wonderful day.

The last stretch is flat along the river to the final bridge and I found myself quite a little way between the others. I loved this moment because although I had thoroughly enjoyed my time with everyone else, it game me time to reflect on what we had just done.

One of the many songs that had been stuck in my head on the way up is one Dad had told me about. Its called The climb’ by Miley Cirus. I wouldn’t usually listen to much of her music but Dad had said it hat reminded him about something I had written earlier, and I had to buy it. Its about enjoying the climb and not worry about what the destination will be like or what’s on the other side. This is supposed to be metaphorical but it was very appropriate to this particular experience.

I keep getting this same message over and over again and I think its because its such an important lesson to learn.
If I had climbed the mountain in the way I used to go things, I would have tried to go as fast as I could so that I could get to the top and see the stunning views at the tope. If I had done that, I would have been terribly disappointed. At the top all we could see was cloud and rain, not what Eugo’s pictures of previous time had shown me.

But instead, I had enjoyed each and everyday for what it was, and because of that the whole thing was fantastic. Having the first and the last day be the nicest days, weather wise, and the summit wind and wet, just emphasised this.

So walking along that bank in the sun was so peaceful and relaxing and I think it allowed me to realise that the climb up Mt. Durika sums up my time here. Because, everything is beautiful in its own right.