02/12/09

This is slightly surreal. I am currently in the airport after 5 hours of travelling in a taxi.
The airport is air-conditioned, thankfully, but outside it feels very tropical. Taking deodorant was a wise move I think (I only wish others were thinking along the same lines, ha).

But the surreal thing is that here I am in the evening sun, recovering from the sweltering heat outside, and I have a man busking, playing Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer and there are Christmas trees in each corner of the airport!

Seeing people driving down the road with trees, plainly going to serve as Christmas trees, strapped to their roofs was bizarre. I don’t think they have quite go the idea because the trees weren’t always those you would associate with Christmas. Then again you can’t fault them for trying to get into the spirit.

I had to laugh out loud though, when I saw their Christmas cards with snow on them. I think less than 10% of the country have ever actually seen snow, let alone had it snowing at Christmas. Then again us having snow on our cards is a bit of a joke as well because I think we have as good a chance of getting snow on Christmas as they do.

Anyway, I’m going to enjoy a bit of chocolate and try and find some worthless things I can buy as souvenirs.

Just another note; I don’t think Cecil Reddie had planned for any of his students to travel to very religious foreign countries.
Unfortunately for any of his students wearing any clothes with the school star on, it looks very much like a Pagan symbol.

I’m used to getting funny looks, but not funny looks because they think I’m some kind of Devil worshipper. I know enough Spanish to explain to the lady in the restaurant, where my taxi was supposed to pick me up, that it wasn’t there and ask her where the company’s cars normally picked up their passengers. I also knew enough to understand her when she said she had no clue and that she had never heard of the company. But I don’t have enough Spanish to explain that the symbol associated with the Devil is the other way round and that our founder was a devout Christian.

Originally, when I realised why people were frowning at me, I thought I would take my fleece off, only to find I had my South African Tour rugby T-shirt on which sported an even bigger star. Oops.

Oh well, I’ll just try not to draw too much attention to myself and act innocent (ha like that’s ever going to happen).